Photographer / Jörgen Paabu
Hair styles / Beauty Salon Intersalon
Wardrobe designer / Kätlin Haak
brand HAAK, https://www.facebook.com/haakfashion
Stylist / Kerttu Reinmaa
Models / Sireli Sallo , Öösike Niit, Liisi Org, Kätlin Hallik
Hanne Loore @ STARSYSTEM
Tuuli, @ TOPMODELS,
HAAK by Kätlin Haak
https://www.facebook.com/haakfashion / HAAK
FEATURED MAKEUP ARTIST INTERVIEW
1. What does this collection say about your mindset when you were creating it?
For me the collection is about strength and delicacy. About how these two aspects come together to create something unique and beautiful. How there’s two sides in a person, one of which is more dominant and visible and the other of which there is only a hint of.
2. Where do you most often find inspiration from? And when you lose it…what do u do to find it?
I mostly find my inspiration from nature. Watching birds or animals, their form and colour pallets is a great source of inspiration. Alot of times, I’m inspired by elements from my dreams, some of which are included to this collection as well. Luckily, I haven't found myself to be lacking inspiration so far.
3. What's your favorite technique or trick? And who taught it to you?
The fancier and more courageous one is while working in this field, the better. I try not to rely on tricks or certain techniques, when I work I try to not to think too much but rather go with the flow, let my hand draw, not my mind.
4. Why editorial, session work? So many say it’s a dead road… why did you continue to pursue this path?
I don’t think it’s a dead road at all! For me personally it’s a field which is more exciting and challenging than other parts of the industry might be.
5. While on set, how do you stay focused?
Alot of my work is created on spot, so the environment itself is my biggest motivator, it keeps me focused. The model, clothing he/she wears inspire me and this in turn drives me to create a complete look. I try to find something which is missing from the complete picture and this search keeps me motivated.
6. Share with us the most unexpected thing that has happened while on set, good or bad.
A few years ago I was working at a fashion show. The set for it was built in a big hangar. The event took place in the middle of a harsh Estonian winter and for some reason the heating systems failed. Since our collection was last to go on stage I was still in the middle of finishing the make-up of all our models. When the show started, the additional lighting was switched off so I was working in the dark, using only my phone’s flashlight. This, combined with a temperature of -20C was a tad challenging. Some of my equipment kept freezing so I had to use some of the hardly-working heat sources to unfreeze them.
7. Favorite quote or quotes you live by? And how do u apply them to your work? What is your personal mantra?
Never say no! You never know what experiences one might gain!
8. Is there anyone experience(s) in particular that you feel has made the biggest impact on your career?
I feel like my career is just setting off so I value each and every experience a lot!
9. What do you believe is a common mistake within the industry? And what can others do to avoid being a cliché?
I think the biggest problem comes from outside of the industry. Common conception is that the work of a person in the fashion industry isn't work at all, or isn't without its hardships. It can't be further from the truth! People I've met and worked with are one the most talented and hard-working individuals. I think a lot of people try to imitate what is already seen and done, whereas they should
focus more on their inner-selves. People need to trust their instincts rather than imitate something which they know has been successful.
10. If you could go back to the beginning of your career, what piece of advice would you give your newbie self ?
I think I’m still at the beginning of my career so I’d currently tell myself to keep working.
11. Who is your biggest role model and why? What collection stands out in your mind?
Pat McGrath. I admire her passion and dedication to her craft and how she was able to step into the world of fashion without prior formal training. This is something which has also encouraged me to continue and strive higher in this field, as I have no formal training or backround either.
12. What colors are you in love with right now?
Black and white, the classical colours which have been my favourite for a long time and most likely will continue to be so.
13.. Favorite adult beverage? Why…and when did u first have one?
Red wine. It was christmastime and I was offered a glass. Let’s just say that I was a young adult.