PHOTOGRAPHER: Corina Marie Howell
MODEL: Ganna Bogdan @ Photogenics LA
MAKEUP: Dana Delaney
HAIR: Ashley Lynn Hall using Amika
NAILS: Pilar Lafargue
FEATURED MAKEUP ARTIST QUESTIONS
1. What does this collection say about your mindset when you were creating it?
Haha, I think I was in a state of panic while creating the looks. So that possibly comes across. The model had a reaction to something and was tearing up pretty badly so we had to improvise and I couldn't use liner or shadow in places that I would have liked to.
2. Where do you most often find inspiration from? And when you lose it…what do u do to find it?
Inspiration can be found anywhere if you look long enough but I would say I'm truly inspired by motion. I love watching things move, animals, plants, an artists hands waves in the water. When I lose my inspiration I usually go on a lot of walks, listen to music or I love sketching out face charts. Getting my hands moving usually does the trick.
3. What's your favorite technique or trick? And who taught it to you?
My favorite trick is to layer a white pencil under a bright color to get it to pop even more. I have no idea where I learned it from, probably instagram or something haha!
4. Why editorial, session work? So many say it’s a dead road… why did you continue to pursue this path?
Editorials are so necessary in the world of fashion and beauty. You have to continue to grow and be challenged as an artist and editorials allow you to do that. Testing allows you to try things you've never tried before and that's always good for the soul.
5. While on set, how do you stay focused?
LOT'S OF COFFEE!!! Partly true, but I generally don't have a problem staying focused. If need be I take a 10 to be by myself and sit in silence. Some would call it meditation I think I call it a time out.
6. Share with us the most unexpected thing that has happened while on set, good or bad.
I was doing a video shoot for a clothing store and in one of the scenes the models were completely submerged in a water tank which was made by amateurs. Well one of the seems bursted on the tank and filled the entire studio floor with gallons of water. You can imagine how scary that is with a ton of electrical equipment around.
7. Favorite quote or quotes you live by? And how do u apply them to your work? What is your personal
"Such as we are made of, such we be." This quote is taken from Shakespeare's 12th Night. Basically Viola blames Olivia's desire for "Cesario" on women's "frailty." The idea is that women are emotionally and morally "frail" because their soft bodies (what they "are made of") are also "frail." But to me it means so much more because only you can determine what you are made of and what you can endure and make of situations. It's a strong quote for me because it emotes so much of what I think women are, not frail but so much stronger than we let on. I have this quote tattooed on my arm. :)
8. Is there anyone experience(s) in particular that you feel has made the biggest impact on your career?
Hands down it was my time at MAC. It was my start in the makeup world and I never looked back. MAC taught me so much about artistry, technique and confidence. It was a great place for me to thrive.
9. What do you believe is a common mistake within the industry? And what can others do to avoid being a
The common mistake is that crazy creative makeup will get you far. The reality is that the people that ultimately pay you will be hiring you for things where you barely feel like an artist. Natural pretty makeup is what you will do the most. I made that mistake early in my career and I feel it definitely put me a little behind.
10. If you could go back to the beginning of your career, what piece of advice would you give your newbie
See above, haha.
11. Who is your biggest role model and why? What collection stands out in your mind?
My husband is my biggest role model. He is the most selfless, humble person I know. He encourages and pushes me and believes in me and he also happens to be extremely talented, he just doesn't know it. Which is a good thing. Ego can kill a career.
12. What colors are you in love with right now?
I don't discriminate, I love all color but I have to say that I had a healthy obsession with white and gold over the summer.
13.. Favorite adult beverage? Why…and when did u first have one?
I'm simple, I like a great tequila on the rocks with fresh lime juice. I've had too many to remember where I first had one!