Photography: Dirk Bader @ The Rep www.therep.de
Styling: Marcella Francesca @ Phoenix, www.phoenixagentur.com/
Hair + Makeup: Sabine Heberle @ Phoenix, www.phoenixagentur.com/ using Chanel
Model: Sonja @ PMA Models www.promod.org
FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER INTERVIEW
1. How does this collection speak to you? How did it come about? What did you want this to say to your audience?
The styling reminds me a lot of the 70‘s somehow. That is why I was inspired by the great Mr. Avedon and his work from those days while shooting the story.
2. What do you find to be the most difficult when bringing a team of artists together to create a cohesive look? How do you pick the right team?
Sometimes it just happens that it all falls into place. If I go look for the right people I try to combine people with the right style or strengths but also with the right personality to fit the rest of the team. It only works in a good team atmosphere.
3. As an editorial artist, what do you feel is one of the biggest mistakes beginners tend to make?
When young artists start working together everybody wants to show what they can do. Often it turns out to be too much of everything in the end. You need to be able to leave things out which is harder than to add.
4. How would you describe your artistic style?
It is always hard to talk about your own ,style‘ but if I would have to say something I think it is often bold and a bit ‘larger than life‘.
5. Do you prefer to be behind the camera or in front of it?
For sure behind although I have been in front of it as well every now and then for TV interviews and TV shows and it is always an interesting experience.
6. What is your greatest weakness; your greatest strength?
I guess one thing I often think of as a weakness is also a great strength. I always try to get everything to perfection. You are running the risk of the picture getting a bit too perfect but if you get the right degree of perfecion with just a little bit of imperfection it turns out perfect in a good way (if that makes any sense to you.
7. What misconceptions do you think outsiders have about fashion and beauty editorials?
That you just put a pretty girl with makeup in a pretty dress and you get a nice editorial. Unfortunately it is a lot of work to get there. And right after you are done, you find things you should have done differently or even better. At least I do
8. What is your secret to keeping a happy balanced life while following your passion?
My 7 year old son is doing that quite well.
9. Music feeds the soul and often motivates. What music are you playing while you are
I always have music while I shoot. It is a wild mix from my playlists. I like a lot of different music which also means there is something for everybody in that list..
10. Words to live by?
Always stay true to yourself.