Tara Lauren using Makeup Forever Cosmetics
Iana @ Major Models NY
Mariomiotti.com Page 3 of 3
FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER INTERVIEW
1. How does this collection speak to you? How did it come about? What did you want this to say to your audience?
We feature the pants from True Royal a lot in this editorial. I find them extremely beautiful and if you saw them up close, you would know what I mean. They have so much detail and quality about them that every woman should own a pair. Overall we wanted to suggest that being comfortable in everyday life is very important and all these outfits do just that, they are as comfortable as one would like, in any situation, but are also very stylish and striking to look at.
2. What do you find to be the most difficult when bringing a team of artists together to create a cohesive look? How do you pick the right team?
The most difficult aspect is to have them all understand what the vision is, because when it grows and evolves on set, it is important to know all the artist will take in the right direction. Picking the right team then is based on the consistency of their work. When you know what an artist likes doing and where they like going with their expression, it is easier to count on them fitting with the direction of particular projects.
3. As an editorial artist, what do you feel is one of the biggest mistakes beginners tend to make?
The biggest mistake beginner artists make is that they think too selfishly about the work they create. All the artist on the team need to realize that it should fit into a larger discourse of fashion, style and culture. If they see this, then they will create amazing work that will reflect the times.
4. How would you describe your artistic style?
My style is about shape and form, I like clean lines and polish.
5. Do you prefer to be behind the camera or in front of it?
Definitely behind it :-) but I can throw a few smiles in front of it too lol
6. What is your greatest weakness; your greatest strength?
Weakness: allow for a lot of input from the team, doesn't always work out. Strength: adapt well to pressure and on set challenges.
7. What misconceptions do you think outsiders have about fashion and beauty editorials?
One misconception is the perception is that we communicate an adverse representation of what normal beauty is, mostly by the retouching techniques applied to photos. Victoria Secret lined up their models, photographed them and printed it as a campaign without retouching. The ladies looks as amazing as ever. Those women work hard to look great, and they have all the blessings in that regard. Another is that people in fashion are superficial. I think there is a percentage that are, but a lot more that are well cultured, thoughtful and passionate.
8. What is your secret to keeping a happy balanced life while following your passion?
Working out (P90x, Insanity videos) lots of good food, no junk food or processed food, multivitamins and taking time to relax with friends and a drink.
9. Music feeds the soul and often motivates. What music are you playing while you are shooting?
Poptron is my favorite. Electro.
10. Words to live by?
Be a good person. Believe in yourself and you can do anything you put your mind to.