Photographer and Art Director / Alkan Emin
Fashion Stylist / Vanessa Sanchez
Hair and Makeup Artist / Irene Sy @ Plutino Group
Model / Josh @ Push Management Inc.
Hair and Makeup
Hair products are from Tresemme and Kevin Murphy
Face-One Base Concealer by Cargo Cosmetics; Bronzer by Too Faced Cosmetics;
Finishing Powder by MAC Cosmetics; Hydrating Setting Spray – Fix + by MAC
FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER INTERVIEW
1. What does this collection say about your mindset when you were creating it?
I wanted to create a feel of fantasy. The stylist and I had a modern-day Braveheart in mind; a warrior coming home. We were inspired by such an avant garde looking model.
2. Where do you most often find inspiration from? And when you lose it…what do u do to find it?
I find inspiration from beauty and kindness in the work. Even when there is darkness in my subject matter, I work to draw out the positivity to create timeless images and stories that speak to the viewer. When I find that my well of inspiration has run dry, I take time away; travel, experience different kinds of art and culture. This tends to renew me and bring me back to my art.
3. What is your favorite styled photo shoot? Why did it stand out to you?
Dovima and the Elephants by Richard Avedon. I love everything from the 1950. Fashion was first emerging, women were so elegant in Dior and Givenchy. He created something so unexpected. You see this in so many of his iconic image, including everything he shot of Audrey Hepburn for Bazaar.
4. Why editorial, session work? So many say it’s a dead road… why did you continue to pursue this path?
It is not a dead path, people in fashion look to editorial for inspiration. It is really
beautiful and creative editorials that can land you money jobs.
5. While on set, how do you stay focused?
On this set, for example, I had Vanessa (my amazing stylist and friend) and James my partner. I can be a bit ADD on set, and surrounding myself with a team who can keep me on track is the key.
6. Share with us the most unexpected thing that has happened while on set, good or bad?
The Cows on the farm where we shot were unexpected subjects. These animals were so inquisitive and allowed us to include them in the shoot. You never know what you might stumble upon if you keep eyes and mind open. Instantly I loved the model more, he was able to interact with the cows and make them comfortable.
7. Favorite quote or quotes you live by? And how do u apply them to your work? What is your personal mantra?
Every blade of grass has it’s own angel that bends over it and whispers “Grow, Grow!” I love how the world can be a very inspiring place, and like this quotation, can make you feel like you are not going through the struggle alone, that everything will be OK! I like
to believe in the goodness and kindness of people. This makes my heart happy.
8. Is there anyone experience(s) in particular that you feel has made the biggest impact on
When I lived in Beijing I discovered a beautiful girl working in a factory. I was their shooting a men’s wear catalogue. My agent and translator thought that she was ugly and awkward. One week later I shot her for Harper’s Bazaar. She when on to be the first Asian girl to shoot the Guess Jean campaign, and walked for countless designers, including Givenchy.
9. What do you believe is a common mistake within the industry? And what can others do to avoid being a cliché?
Everyone always wants to work with seasoned, established artists. I think you can
discover new beautiful thing working with junior artists as well, they are hungry and
looking to take chances. Don’t pass them by!
10. If you could go back to the beginning of your career, what piece of advice would you give your newbie self?
Don't be so egotistical! The world does not revolve around you.
11. Who is your biggest role model and why? What collection stands out in your mind?
My grandparents. I spent summers in Cyprus with them. They taught me simplicity and kindness. My grandfather was a shepherd and my grandmother was a farmer. Their simple life and, respect for the world, and the people who occupy it is an inspiration to me still. I love when Gaultier did his tattoo artwork collection.
12. Favorite adult beverage? Why…and when did u first have one?
Champagne... ah, the bubbles. Everything about this drink and me feel like an adult. Glamorous and chic. I really began to enjoy it when I made the realization that you could