Photographer: Nuru Kimondo
Wardrobe Stylist: Caitlin Eucker
Hair and Makeup: Elena Denning
Model: Kelsey Plank @ 10 MGMT
FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER INTERVIEW
1. What does this collection say about your mindset when you were creating it?
When creating this collection, I started with feelings that I wanted to evoke out of my subject and the setting or location that would compliment that. I wanted to capture the natural beauty of my subject in a calm, refreshing, summer atmosphere.
2. Where do you most often find inspiration from? And when you lose it…what do you do to find it?
I seek inspiration from different sources such as, Fine art photography, documentary photography and fashion photographers. I also get inspired by traveling, the many faces I encounter daily and landscape scenery. When I feel I am loosing inspiration, I would revisit inspiration clippings and boards that collect constantly.
3. What do you look for and lookout for… when putting together the perfect set team?
When putting together my perfect team, I look for individuals who are passionate and as motivated as I am. Without a balanced team, my vision will not come through.
4. Why editorial, session work? So many say it’s a dead road… why did you continue to pursue this path?
Editorial projects are fun to create and I enjoy the whole process from working with my team to bringing my idea to life.
5. While on set, how do you stay focused?
While on set, I play music that helps evoke the emotional feelings I want to capture from my subjects, while at the same time keeping me focused and distraction free.
6. Share with us the most unexpected thing that has happened while on set, good or bad.
On one of my earlier photo shoots when I first started photography, my whole team got paid after the shoot that I was doing for free. It was a beautiful surprise because I was not expecting that, I was doing the shoot for fun to begin with.
7. Favorite quote or quotes you live by? And how do you apply them to your work? What is your personal mantra?
“Travel as much as you can, as far as you can, as long as you can. Life is not meant to be lived in one place” by Unknown. This quote inspires me to see more of the world with camera in hand seeking continued adventures. My personal mantra is good things don’t come easy. Which is a continuous reminder to work hard in everything I do.
8. Is there anyone experience(s) in particular that you feel has made the biggest impact on your career?
In high school I won four awards for some photos I submitted to an All City Arts competition. The attention I received motivated and inspired me to keep going. It was the first time I saw the significance of photography.
9. What do you believe is a common mistake within the industry? And what can others do to avoid being a cliché?
A common misconception in the industry is aspiring artists expect immediate success, when in reality it takes hard work and patience. I truly believe that you should stay true to your heart and vision. That will surely show in your work.
10. Favorite adult beverage? Why… and when did u first have one?
Although I am a avid water drinker, I do time to time prefer Pina Coladas.